The Juliette A. Southard Scholarship Program is named for the founder of the American Dental Assistants Association. Established in 1929, the program awards scholarships to dental assisting students and dental assistants interested in furthering their education in the field of dental assisting.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION: Candidates must be high school graduates; or hold a GED; or be 18 years of age to be eligible for consideration. Applicant must be a student member of ADAA.
Procedures for Submitting Application and all accompanying documentation: Only typewritten electronic submissions are accepted. All supporting documentation must be sent electronically via email using MS Word v. 98 or later. Faxes will not be considered as an electronic submission.
- Complete every item on APPLICATION (Incomplete applications will not be considered). Applications must be typed and submitted electronically. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- Attach official transcripts of high school and/or college academic work, including proof of graduation. Examples of acceptable proof of grades to include a computer generated print-out signed by the director; or grades on program stationery if signed by the director. One official transcript copy is sufficient. All documentation must be submitted electronically.
- Verification of student status must be submitted on program letterhead and signed by the director or another school official.
- Two letters of reference are required: one from a dental professional; the other from a person of your own choice. Neither letter can be from a family member or candidate shall be disqualified. Recommendation letters should name specific qualities/characteristics that set the applicant apart from others with an example or two of how this candidate exhibited those traits; i.e. critical thinking, initiative, organizational skills, leadership, responsibility, integrity, etc. Letters must be submitted electronically and electronic signatures are accepted.
- Develop a statement of intent indicating your goal to pursue a long-range career in dental assisting. Essays will be judged on content, spelling and grammar. Essay should be a minimum of 250 words, not to exceed 1000 words.
- Submit electronically the application and all supporting materials to the address listed at the top of the page before 11:59 p.m. (CST) March 15. Applicants will receive an email notification of receipt of materials. If no confirmation is received, it is your responsibility to follow up.
- Submit a current passport size photograph with application. (Photograph is not required; to be used for publicity purposes of recipient.). Attach photograph with nomination materials and submit everything electronically.